Learners who are Accountable for their behaviors; Kind to all; put Effort into their work; have Respect for self and others; and are Safe at all times.
The Twin Oaks Middle School community is dedicated to reaching the whole child at this important time in their life. Therefore, Twin Oaks works to ensure that all students have access to the most effective and accurately implemented instructional and behavioral practices and intervention possible. Our PBIS (Positive Behavior Intervention Supports) initiative, otherwise known as LAKERS Pride, provides our students and staff an incredible decision making framework that guides selection, integration, and implementation of the best evidence-based academic and behavioral practices for improving important academic and behavioral outcomes for all students.
The LAKERS initiative takes a proactive and preventative approach toward bullying requiring students and staff members to be accountable for their behaviors and actions.
HOW DO WE DO THIS?
We set Expectations:
- We set expectations for students and staff members.
- We advertise those expectations in a very consistent and overt manner.
We Teach to the Expectations:
- We give instruction on a continual basis through the year on the expectations.
- We continue to give instruction and problem solve on how to meet those expectations through school year.
We Celebrate the Positives:
- Positive decision-making, student achievement and excellence will be recognized, recorded and celebrated.
We Address the Negatives:
- Disruptive and inappropriate behaviors will be recognized, addressed in a timely manner, recorded, and reviewed.
WHAT MIGHT YOU AS A PARENT OR STUDENT FIND HAPPENING AT TOMS?
You will find an overall school climate that is both positive and energetic. Twin Oaks is a remarkable place to learn and work. There is a positive energy and excitement, as well as a sense of school pride that can be felt when you walk in the doors. Here are a few examples:
- LAKERS Tickets Weekly student drawing/prizes
- Monthly LAKERS recognition on TOMS blog
- Monthly LAKERS primetime (advisory) celebrations
- Semester whole school assemblies/celebrations
- Monthly staff breakfast get-togethers
- Seasonal and Special Events
- Beginning of year LAKERS “Boot Camp”
- Quarterly Mini-lessons
- LAKERS “Booster Shot” lessons and videos
- Weekly 2 nd Step (Bully Prevention Curriculum)
- Monthly Kudos for Kids
- LAKERS Tickets for positive behaviors
- Family Night Out events
- Posters, Signs, Banners….let's go LAKERS!!
- Bus Bucks
WE BUILD RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN STUDENTS AND STAFF
Through all of this and more, Twin Oaks students and staff are unified towards a common goal of creating the best place possible to teach, learn, grow, and have fun doing it, for each and every individual within our school community.
Twin Oaks has consistently scored 90 or above on our School-wide Evaluation Tool (SET) evaluations since LAKERS Pride was implemented in the 2010-2011 school year.
In 2014, Twin Oaks was recognized by the State of Minnesota as a PBIS Sustaining Exemplar School.